Sunday, June 3, 2012

Bienenstich!!!

Bienenstich
Rich Yeast Dough

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 t. salt
1 egg

In large mixer bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. Heat together milk, butter, sugar and salt just till warm (115 - 120 degrees), stirring occasionally to melt butter. Add to dry mixture in mixer bowl; add egg. Beat at low speed of electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. By hand, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Place dough in greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place till double, about 1 1/2 hours. Turn out on lightly floured surface. Divide in half and form each part into a ball.

To make Almond Syrup:
While dough is rising the first time, melt 1/2 cup butter in saucepan. Add 1 cup sugar, 1 T milk, 1 t lemon juice; bring to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in 3/4 cup sliced blanched almonds and 1/2 t vanilla. Set aside to cool.
On lightly floured surface, roll out 1/2 recipe of Rich Yeast Dough to 13 x 9 inch rectangle. Carefully lift dough into well greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan. Pat out to fit bottom of pan. Spread cooled Almond Syrup over dough. Cover; let rise in warm place till almost double, about 1 hour. Bake in 375 degree oven 15 -20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool on rack.

This is the family recipe from my sister (who got it from my mother). I don't bake; she does, and when I've had this it's been delicious, as it was when my mother made it. However I notice that there's no indication in this recipe of what happens to the other 1/2 of the dough: I seem to remember the filling being just that, a filling. Is it possible that the other half is rolled out into a rectangle, placed on top of the first rectangle and the filling, then the whole thing rises and is baked?

Unfortunately my sister goes to bed early so I can't call her now! I can try tomorrow morning, but I wanted to get this much off to you now. If you're what I call a real baker, the recipe will make more sense to you than to me.
BTW, that's just the taste: yeasted, but not bready. MMMMMMM, I can taste it. Hope this is helpful and not just a tease.



http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/528873

No comments:

Post a Comment